What age group is my child?
The soccer calendar cut off date is July 31st, 2015 for the 2015-2016 season. Your child's age on that day will determine which age group they will be placed in. i.e. your child is 7 years old as of July 31st 2015 - He would be placed in the UNDER 8 age group (or U8), because he was UNDER 8 years old as of July 31st, 2015. Another example: Your child is 10 years old as of July 31st 2015 - She would be placed in the UNDER 11 age group (or U11), because she was Under 11 years old as of July 31st, 2015. These age groups are effective for the entire 2015-2016 season (FALL AND SPRING).
Where are the games held?
We now offer two locations to serve you. Game fields vary by location. See below:
Under 5 and Under 6 games are held at Magahay Elementary (see FIELD MAPS link above for more details)
Under 7 through Under 12* games are held at Whispering Woods Park (see FIELD MAPS link above for more details)
*Under 12 Girls will be playing home games at Whispering Woods Park and away games at Woodside Church in Romeo (32 Mile/Campground)
Under-14 games require light travel to fields in: Romeo, Rochester, Waterford, Lake Orion, and Shelby.
FRASER/CLINTON TOWNSHIP LOCATION
These games will be held at various locations: Steffen's Park (Fraser, MI), Veteran's Memorial Park (Roseville), Civic Center Park (St. Clair Shores), and various Grosse Pointe locations. Specific locations based on age groups will be posted with the schedule
What days are the games played?
- Games are mostly played on Saturday Mornings/Early Afternoons and a few during the weeknights (about 2-3 weeknight games per 8 games). Spring Season games will have more weeknight games (about 5 weeknight and 5 weekend games).
Where do we practice?
Practice locations are up to individual coaches, but are normally held at Utica Community Schools fields, where USL has permits to practice. (see field permits down below - bottom lower left corner of the homepage under SITE LINKS).
- FRASER/CLINTON TOWNSHIP LOCATION
- Team practices will be held at Steffen's Park or St. Luke's Lutheran School
When do we practice/how often?
- Each USL is coached by a volunteer parents. This parent will have the leisure to set up practices based on the convenience with his/her personal schedule. So until teams are made and HEAD COACHES are assigned, a practice schedule is not available. The best way to get the practice schedule you want, is to VOLUNTEER TO COACH!
Do I have to live in a specific community in order to play in the United Soccer League?
Why do we play small sided games and not 11 against 11 at the younger age groups?
Small sided games (3 v 3 for the Under-5, 4v4 for Under 6, 5 v 5 for the Under 7-8 and 7v7 for Under 9 and Under 10 and 9 v 9 for the Under 11-Under 1 ) afford the players more touches on the ball and a chance to make more decisions with the ball at their feet. This leads to quicker player development and more enjoyment of the game.
Where is skill training held?
Skill training is held at Magahay Elementary (see FIELD MAPS link above for more details)
FRASER/CLINTON TWP LOCATION
Skills training is held at Steffen's Park in Fraser (see FIELD MAPS link above for more details)
Who can come to skill training?
Is there a family discount plan?
- Yes, there is a $10 discount for each additional child after the first one
What is the Refund Policy (SPRING 2016)?
- Spring Registration Refunds requested on or before February 15th, 2016 will be granted MINUS a $10 administrative fee. ABSOLUTELY NO REFUNDS will be given if a request is made February 16th, 2016 or later. (Please note this is for Spring 2016 registration only!)
Can a team be made with 5 (or more) friends, or can my child play with a friend?
Players can request to play with friends, a coach, etc. There are two special request fields when signing up. Most of the 1st requests are granted, and several of the 2nd requests too! We want to ensure that every player enjoys their experience in USL so we try our best to keep friends together as long as parity within the league does not suffer.
Can my child play UP an age group?
You can request your child to play up on the online registration form. It is highly discouraged by the league coaching director as development usually suffers when this happens, but most of these requests are granted.