The United Soccer League (USL) was established in 1975. Over the last 38 years, we have been dedicated to giving children in the Shelby, Utica, Macomb, and Sterling Heights area an opportunity to learn and enjoy the game of soccer in a safe and friendly environment. During the 2012 - 2013 season, more than 600 players will have had the opportunity to play the world's most popular game.
Most USL games are played at Whispering Woods Park, which is located on 21 Mile Rd., between Van Dyke and Schoenherr. Under 14 players will play in the Rochester Soccer League (Home games will be at Borden Park and away games will be at various locations such as Romeo, Lake Orion, etc)
Being a Recreational League, participation is key. For all players to learn and enjoy the game, each player must play at least 50 % of the game. Teams are rearranged every year in order to ensure that every team has a mix of new players and more experienced players. This ensures that as many games as possible are competitive and no "all-star" teams will dominate an age group.
The USL board is made up of a group of dedicated people who have been in soccer their whole life. The teams in our league are run by volunteer coaches and we cannot thank them enough for their time and dedication.
What separates us from the others?
The United Soccer League is under the guidance of 'soccer people'. What does that mean? Our directors have decades of experience training, coaching, and mentoring youth soccer players. We hold licenses from the United States Soccer Federation and implement their programs and guidelines for the development of our players. How is this done?
- Skills Training Nights - Each season (fall and spring) we hold 5 skills training nights for the U6-U14 age groups. This gives our players a chance to train with professional coaches who will be working on a curriculum set up by the USL Coaching Director. Dribbling, passing, finishing, etc will be some of the topics we touch on all to obtain one goal - to create confident and creative players.
- Small Sided Games - At our younger age groups, we play small sided games (less players on the field) so our players get to be involved more! 3v3 (U6), 6v6 (U8 and U10), 8v8 (U12), and 11v11 (U14). We are following the guidelines suggested by the United States Youth Soccer Association for optimal player development.
- USSF Certified Referees - We only use Certified US Soccer Federation referees for our games so you can be sure the integrity of the game is upheld and that the proper rules are being correctly enforced.
- Winter Training/League Options - Want to take a break? Didn't think so! We have options for your player to continue playing and/or training throughout the winter months ensuring they get the repetitive touches that are required to improve his/her play.
- Camps/Clinics - We offer optional Summer Camps, Winter Camps, and clinics throughout the year all with a professional staff to give those players looking for a challenge an option to improve their skills.
- End of the Year FUN Tournament - A fun filled event where EVERYONE WINS! Enjoy a tournament atmosphere where each team will play 3 games in one day followed by trophy presentations and a new 'coaches game'. Yes! finally your player gets to watch, coach and cheer on their coaches as they vs. each other in a friendly match. Prizes, giveaways and more!